Tuesday, November 4, 2008

Life Is Still Good

I just got back from voting. I walked home from our polling station as it is a beautiful fall morning. Sunny and nearly 50 degrees. As I crossed a ravine, the iPod kicked in with the theme to Masterpiece Theater. The sun filtered through the pines and the birch on each side of the road. It was one of those "I wish I could freeze this moment" moments; perhaps to pull it out in a couple of months when the world is cold and bleak. (Whether from the temperature or the political climate...it matters not.)

As one who always tries to find a silver lining in bad situations, I'm still working on seeing the bright side of a McCain loss. I have read some suggestions that four years of Obama will ensure a Republican landslide in 2012. If you think in terms of prison sentences, four years doesn't seem so long, but still...

If you're a liberal, however, I have a silver lining for you should McCain win: Canada still has large swaths of open land and a nationalized health care system.

You're welcome.

1 comment:

inklenaomi said...

I worried for about 36 hours of hours of his presidency, that he might actually be a good a president. Don't get me wrong, if he was good, then good for the nation. But he's going down a path that can only help conservatism in the (hopefully) very near future.