Friday, November 23, 2007

Happy Thanksgiving, Black Friday, etc..

I hope you and yours had a wonderful day yesterday. Mine was memorable primarily for the fact that a little more than an hour after finishing our meal, The Senator shook me awake and announced, "I'm hungry."

Hungry. And he still had whipped cream on his face from dessert. I guess the ham, potatoes, peas, spinach, pineapple, rolls, rice, and cheesecake were merely a warm-up. I felt the bile rise in my throat as I sat up straight and tried to focus on his face. I was pretty certain I wouldn't need to eat again until Sunday.

I didn't want to leave the couch, but he kept staring at me, just like the dog does when he wants something. So I got up and fixed him another plate of food.

I'm starting to feel ill just thinking of it.

In other memorable happenings, I screwed up the Camp family tradition of putting up the Christmas Tree on Black Friday. I sent The VP down to the cellar to get the artificial tree and the tubs of Christmas decorations. He came back upstairs with the tree box and said, "Is it supposed to be this light?"

Well, I suppose it IS supposed to be that light when there is nothing inside the box. The memory came slamming back: our tree was nine years old. It was in bad shape. It could no longer look forward to any sort of quality of life, so I put it out of its misery and tossed it in the dumpster. For some reason, I saved the box. I do not know why. I'm a tosser, not a saver. Toss now, regret later...that's my motto. Execpt for Christmas fauna, I guess.

The boys were all excited to decorate the tree today, and I feel just awful about letting them down. Not awful enough to brave the parking lots/shoppers at Target to get a new one, mine you. But still awful.

I think I will go console myself with leftover cheesecake.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I can't believe you didn't go out and brave the insanity for "the children".... obviously you're not a democrat.

Our tree is up and decorated, the lights are on the outside of the house (put them up in shorts and a t-shirt thank you very much) and we even put up a smaller tree outside our front door! I'll have to send a pic just to harass and annoy you!